Monday, March 24, 2014

Recover like a champ with this veggie scramble recipe

I spend a lot of time discussing nutrition on this blog. But, I've yet to actually post a recipe. Well, there's a first time for everything. I figured now is as good a time as any to give a glimpse inside my kitchen.  (Okay, actually it's my wife's kitchen. She just allows me to use it).

This recipe is an absolute go-to on weekends. My wife and I generally have it as a brunch in the late morning after I come back from workout number one that morning.

Anyway, for those hard-charging athletes out there, or if you're just looking for a healthy, nutrient-dense way to start the day, this one is for you. It's jam-packed with veggies, protein and healthy fats.

One note of caution before I get into the recipe. I don't measure any of this. I eye-ball and just add what seems about right. After some time perfecting, the portion is a perfect meal for two. Oh, and make sure to serve with coffee. It's essential.

Craig's Veggie-Scramble/Mexican Fusion

Serves 2

1 Tbsp lard, grass-fed butter, OR coconut oil
1/2 - 1 medium yellow or red onion 
1/4 - 1/2 bell pepper (choose your favorite color)
1-2 cups small broccoli florets
2 handfulls spinach, kale, OR some other dark-leafy green
6 free-range, organic eggs
2 avocados
3 Tbsp grass-fed, full-fat sour cream
3 Tbsp mild salsa
Sea Salt and black pepper

Steps:

1. Saute onion in lard over medium heat until onion starts to brown.

2. Add bell pepper and broccoli florets, continuing to stir occasionally.


3.  Add spinach and fold into other veggies.


4. In a separate mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add eggs once spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with sea salt (we use Himalayan sea salt) and black pepper. Scramble until cooked throughout.


5.  Serve with sliced avocado, sour cream, and salsa on top.


6. Oh, and don't forget a nice cup of coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment